We offer free tax preparation for qualifying individuals.
We will start accepting appointments starting January 3, 2024.
Call 580-765-2476 to book an appointment:
United Way’s Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program offers free tax preparation for families and individuals with income of $64,000 or less.
This program promotes financial well-being. Our team of staff and volunteers prepare income tax returns for qualifying families and individuals and advocate for the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC). Our work ensures that tax returns are accurate and everyone receives their full refund and avoids unclaimed tax credits, fees for tax preparation services and refund anticipation loans.
WHAT DO I NEED?
Appointments are also required for Drop Off Service at our office. You can pick up forms at our office or print forms to complete before coming in for your appointment.
The United Way VITA tax program provides FREE tax return preparation for taxpayers with household incomes of $64,000 or less. If your household income is less than $79,000 you can file yourself for free at https://myfreetaxes.com/
We also prepare taxes returns for seniors over the age of 60, Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE). While there is no income limit, they are some returns we cannot prepare.
Our IRS VITA/TCE return preparation sites are operated by certified Volunteers who are passionate about taxes and are trained to do basic returns.
Due to this, we cannot prepare returns with:
Small business Schedule C with business losses, expenses over $35,000, depreciation, or employees
Complicated Schedule D (capital gains and losses)
Schedule K-1s (can only do investment income only)
Please see a paid preparer if your return falls within any of those categories listed above.
What should I bring for my tax appointment?
For an IRS checklist, click here, or refer to the list below:
· Proof of identification (Valid photo ID) - for you and your spouse
· Social Security cards for you, your spouse and dependents. Social Security statements are an acceptable replacement. (New cards can be requested on ssa.gov and arrive in about 10 business days)
· Wage and/or Income Forms (Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R,1099-Misc) from all employers
· Interest and dividend statements (Forms 1099INT or 1099DIV)
· If self-employed, bring an itemized list of your income, your expenses and business mileage—
o Sample WORKSHEET.
o If you are an Uber/Lyft driver—please download and bring your year end summary report
o along with any 1099-NECs and 1099-Ks that may be issued.
· A copy of last year’s federal and state returns, if available
· Proof of bank account routing and account numbers for direct deposit, such as a blank check
· Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider’s tax identifying number such as
o their Social Security number or business Employer Identification Number
· Forms 1095-A, Health Coverage Statements - If you have health insurance from Marketplace,
o bring your 1095A or call 1-800-318-2596 to get one mailed or visit healthcare.gov
· Do you have IRS’ Identity Theft Pin number? (do you get a special PIN mailed to you each year by the IRS?) Please bring the PIN # issued in January 2024 by the IRS (a new PIN issued every January—you can get a replacement pin online at IRS.gov type PIN in the search field)
To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms. If you are Married Filing Separately, spouse's name, SSN and date of birth is required to electronically file your return.
DROP OFFS - By appointment only (Please fill out and print the documents below)
· Must bring Photo Identification, SSN card or SS Statement (for everyone on the return), all Income and related forms/documents to prepare return (see above).
· Complete and sign required forms (married filing joint, must both sign at time of drop off & pickup)
· Complete an interview at time of drop off.
· Client will be called when return is completed to schedule appointment to review & sign return.
· Return will be efiled after review and signature.
Please visit myfreetaxes.com to complete your taxes online for free.
The United Way of North Central Oklahoma DOES NOT file City Taxes. Please contact your local city department of taxation for assistance if needed.
We only prepare a Federal & State tax return.
VITA • Volunteer Income Tax Assistance
VITA offers free tax preparation for low- to moderate-income individuals and families in Kay County. Eligible families/individuals made under $64,000 for 2023. The United Way of North Central Oklahoma's VITA site's goal is to increase education, awareness, and claims of the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC). The EITC is the largest refundable credit that can be claimed on an individual tax return; up to $7,430 for tax year 2023.
You can file your taxes for free at myfreetaxes.com. My Free Taxes is a partnership of United Way Worldwide and is brought to you locally by the United Way of North Central Oklahoma.
Gather your tax documents and log on to myfreetaxes.com to file both your federal and state taxes for free.
Thank you for your interest in becoming a United Way volunteer for our Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program!
No prior knowledge or experience is necessary to volunteer, and there are a variety of roles available to match your skills and interests. Volunteers are asked to serve 2-4 hours per week when the season opens in late January 2023.
What you need to know about United Way’s Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program
Your taxes will be prepared by IRS-certified volunteers. Each return is screened by a Quality Reviewer to ensure accuracy.
We have many multiple tax sites located in Ponca City, with a variety of operating hours to ensure everybody has the opportunity to receive help. Check back soon for more information.
A team of trained tax preparers will complete the returns and customers will schedule a follow-up appointment at the tax site to review, approve and file the tax return.
All in-person tax sites have filled their remaining appointment slots, and sites with walk-in services are open for this tax season. We will still offer limited tax assistance services after April 18. Please call the scheduling line at (580) 765-2476 for more information.
Thank you for your interest in United Way’s Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program.
For tax questions, please contact our office at (580)765-2476